View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #544
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
Short cut.

On the DR (and similarly most other bikes) under the left side cover is the starter motor relay. One of the larger black wires on it goes straight to the battery and can be used to power up you air compressor (or as a charging pint for a battery charger or any large current link to the battery. Saves taking off the luggage and seat. Oh while the side cover is off, write notes on the back side of it - saves greasy paw prints in the service manual. )
I am familiar with the starter motor relay, however I am leery of breaking fuses or other fiddly connected bits as this is not an intended "jump point". Is this a valid concern?

Quote:
More ideas.. to each their own.
Solar charges.
On the motorcycle I don't bother. I use the bikes electrical system to charge the other batteries. Unless you plan on stopping for more than a day it is not worth taking a solar charger. The risk of braking the thing.. well not worth it to me. On a bicycle ? Maybe.
I do stop for more than a day, quite regularly, so that's why I bother having a solar charger. (It's a bit like the water filter in that regard. If I wanted to be around towns with running tapwater and electrical outlets I wouldn't bother, but I like nature.) I do intend to add a USB charger using the bike's electricals, and at some point I will also figure out a system of elastic rope and carabiners that will allow me to affix the solar charger on top of the boxes, so I can charge on the move. Redundancy is my friend in this case.

Quote:
Storing spare parts on the bike.
The brake pads can be bolted on, I use the bash plate with a few bolts and nylock nuts. The crush washers for oil changes - behind one of the plastic caps .. I think for the swing arm (too many bikes!) Saves having that stuff in your bags. I don't carry oil as a regular thing - only when I'm coming up to a change and have vast amounts of emptyness to use.
Those are some good ideas! I guess I'm just afraid of losing parts if they're in various places, you don't have any issues with things vibrating loose?

This bike consumes a small amount of oil (I need to fix gaskets at some point), and I had a spare liter, so bring it or lose it...

Quote:
More? Read

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/gea...ke-preparation ..quite lengthy. But applicable to most bikes (even based on the DR, but made as generic as possible). These ideas may help cut down on your luggage (eg a second air cleaner... no use prefilters, air filter oil? Use that engine oil... and you can get that from a garage. I normally only carry chain oil, grease, and never seeze).

The next one is a bit of a mix of different ideas for different bikes - some don't apply to the DR.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/tech/suzuki/dr650prep
Thanks for the links! I will give these a read. Air filter oil is another one of those "use it or lose it" items, when it runs out I'll have to find something new. I thought the stickiness of the air filter oil helped significantly with keeping it working correctly, you've had no problems using engine oil?

Quote:
I went to a HU UK meeting where one of the talks was on yoga ... picked up a few good things. If you ever get the chance to go to one of these then go. Even if not contemplating international travel you pick up on so many ideas... Err the UK one is the biggest, 3 days 3 lecture halls running - you have to chose which one of the three (or more - some stuff is outside) things to see. That's from 10 am to ... well after 10 pm anyways.
I will keep an eye out, but they seem kind of few and far between... They seem like my kind of people, anyways!

Quote:
Nice photos of what you pack... that is so much simpler than the lists I make, and could be handy if your stuff is stolen. Had a lot of trouble convincing the police in Greece that I had a bag stolen off the back of my bike, need it for the insurance claim. The good thing about my lists - I include the weight of each item... if I can find a lighter one then its a new purchase.

PS I don't carry a ratchet - I can do any bolt with other less weighty tools, slower but can be done.
That's a good rule of thumb, but I usually don't have the money for replacement purchases. If I had some spare cash, one of the first things I'd do is get some of those awesome ratchet wrench things I see in so many other ride reports, with different sizes on each side, and reduce the tools I carry.

Without my ratchet, I couldn't get off my rear lugnut regardless of how much I screamed at it. I can't even imagine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Most are way ahead of you on this mate. Heard of a Battery Tender? Most of us use them at home. They use a common SAE connector. But it's all multi-use. Here you can see ... if you look close ... a wire hanging down near the frame rail.

On the road this plug is mostly used to power my Gerbing jacket. Can also be used to jump start other bikes ... and will easily run a mini compressor ... most use an SAE plug. Plug and Play. At home, I plug in my Battery Tender when bike is parked ... ALL using the simple and unbreakable SAE plug. I've used these for over 15 years.
Hmm. Interesting. I don't have a battery tender (yet). I don't have a SAE plug for my compressor (it came with two alligator-clips for attaching to a battery), but I could probably find one for it. Thanks for the idea!

Quote:
I carry two tire Irons between motor and bash plate. Wrapped in inner tube and Zip tied in place. Been there since '06. I'm careful about where I stow more delicate things ... as they can be damaged. I carry a very comprehensive Nut & Bolt kit, made up just for the DR650. All OEM sizes plus OEM washers, springs, do dads. Drain plug washers can be heated and annealed for re-use. No need to carry extras. Front brake pads on the DR should last 10K to 12K miles in touring mode. Rears go faster (4 to 5K depending) I carry one set. I also ALWAYS carry a set of fork seals. My bike uses NO OIL. No need to carry any. I plan oil changes well head and only do filter every other oil change when on the road ... so 10,000 miles between filters.

Two tire levers here ... another Ty Davis lever in luggage. (12")

Spare nuts and bolts are like buried treasure when in Baja. I mostly end up giving stuff away ... as was the case here. Happy to help.
I worry (perhaps unnecessarily) about anything happening to puncture the defenseless tube, so I wrap it in a bunch of bags and keep it towards the top of my luggage where nothing will get at it. I'd be nervous if it was down and out of sight, especially in a warm place like that. You have had no problems?

Did you buy or make that nut and bolt kit?

Quote:
Very good ideas there. In heavy dust I use "Filter Skins" which slip over air filter. re-usable. I use a small squeeze bottle of 90 Wt. gear oil. It's cheap and available nearly everywhere. A great chain lube. The key to long chain life is regular cleaning. Diesel works fine ... or just a quick wipe down and light re-oiling. I get near 25,000 from a chain.
Filter skins would definitely cut down on the annoyance of swapping filters in parking lots. Where do you get the small bottle of 90 wt? I can only ever find it in large bottles. I used to keep a mayo squeeze bottle that I filled with 90wt, but it seems like a waste to throw half the bottle away! Same with kerosene, the smallest I've found is that 1l at Walmart. I'd be open to diesel if I could find it in small quantities, but shy of carrying around a gascan everywhere, I don't know how to make that work. Suggestions?

PS your sidestand is awesome.
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote