View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #32
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,409
I'm 63-going on -4, with a 29" inseam. I've always stood at tippytoes on the bike and don't know no better. The big change over the past few years is I can't just throw my leg over the bike while holding it up-- just not "agile enough" anymore. I mount it with the bike on (Browns) sidestand: step up on the left footpeg with the left foot and swing the right leg over. Tilt the bike upright (to the right) and retract the sidestand. Dismount in reverse. Picking a dumped bike up is still easy-- lean with your back to the bike and "walk" it up.

I have no idea what the next 10, 20 or 30 years will bring, but I'll keep riding til I can't.

I am toying with the idea of getting a scooter for 'round the town jaunts. Something like a Helix. But heavens no, I refuse to become an old guy on a scooter. My intention-- and this idea is backed up by what was called "The Cycle of Doom" that I saw (Motorrad) Rick Jones riding at the last Barber Vintage-- is to get a Helix (or something like a...), strip all the tupperware off to a bare frame and give it the Steampunk or the Mad Max treatment. No big hurry on this-- I've got my feelers out and will happen upon the right bike at the right price. A scoot is a fun drive, but I only if I can be subtle.

--Bill

PS-- had a photo of part of the Doom Machine online:

Bill Harris screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 06:15 PM
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote