View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #1188
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzyzyxRd View Post
Thank you for all of that.

I know what pickups are but how do you tell the good ones from the crap ones?
What is the difference between normal pickups and humbuckers?

I guess it would probably be easier to say what I want it for and see what kind of consensus I get.

I'd like a decent guitar that has a lot of range. I can't (never had a guitar) play a lick but my taste in music ranges from Junior Brown to Primus to Santana to Social D. Love me some Johnny Cash too.

That is more and less than the "sound" I'm looking for.
Of course, I'll be needing an amp too...not looking to spend much more than 600.00 for both.

Oh, and I have small hands.

Thanks again.
Well, I think you'll have a problem with finding one guitar that does everything. That's why most of us have more then one guitar. With that said, if you get a neutral guitar and a modeling amp, it will give you some range. It might not sound the best but it will have a wider range. It's probably best to find one sound and work with that.

Hand size doesn't really mean that much. Some say smaller hands are more comfortable with a thinner neck guitar but that's not always the case. You really need to go out and sling some guitars and find out what works for you.

$600 + $600 is a pretty good budget.

I think you're really going to have to play some guitars or have the sales guy play them for you. With different design, two guitars with the same pickup can sound very different. Same thing with amps. Tube/Valve amps vs Solid State amps... There's a lot to choose from. It just depends on what you're looking for. A Vox will sound different then a Marshall, Fender, Peavey, etc... There are certain amps that go better with certain tones.

If I was going to recommend a 'package' I'd probably go with a Squier Classic Vibe (Telecaster or Stratocaster) or a Gibson Les Paul Studio or SG Special and a Fender Blues Junior III.