Thread: Guitar thread
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 03:02 AM   #1191
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzyzyxRd View Post
Totally a n00b to guitars so stupid question time.

First off what's the word on Ibanez? They seem to get decent reviews but not really mentioned at all here.

Second, how can you know before purchase where a guitar is made and how much of a real difference does it make?

Third, what is the difference between a 22 fret and a 24 fret and does it make a difference to a beginner?

How well does "Rocksmith" work for tone deaf cretins like me?

I'm looking at this, http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/msg/3438377084.html , don't know if it's a deal or not.

Any and all help is appreciated.

1) As noted Ibanez are decent. I've always like the "S" series, going back something like 20 years. There are certainly worse guitars out there.

2) Its takes some digging, the American guitar companies (Dean, B.C. Rich, PRS, Fender) make their top-shelf models here and then farm out the lower end and sometimes mid range instruments. This isn't a huge deal. A Mexican Strat is still a Strat, its just not an "American" guitar. The Korean instruments in particular are usually pretty good grade. I've had a B.C. NJ series (Korean) and a just bought a PRS SE both Korean, and both are fine the only neither had any glaring craftsmenship issues and the BC Rich had one of the sweetest necks of any guitar I have ever played. The reviews for my SE basically said the only thing wrong with it is that its not a Maryland guitar.

3) The number of frets has more to do with the position of the neck pick up and the scale of the guitar. In fact, when you get into baritone guitars you start running into 26 and 27 fret guitars (7 strings usually). To most players those last two frets don't mean a whole hell of a lot. You only loose two notes out of 4 Octaves, and its not that hard to bend the high E two steps. I have both 22 and 24 fret guitars, I rarely use 23-24, its gets pretty cramped up there the frets are really skinny.

4) Can't tell you about Rocksmith, I was looking at it, but a fine combination of my pops dying and coming back from that mess into finals hasn't allowed me a moment to go look for it.

5) Doesn't look too terrible, but I'd go check out Sam Ash or Guitar Center and see what you can get them for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post

A fairly safe rule on place of origin: If it is under $1k, it was probably made somewhere outside the USA. Does it make a difference? Well, setting aside the "Buy American" patriot stuff, not really. The main thing is that it's a manufacturer that gives a damn about quality.
The Gibson Les Paul Studio being the exception here, they list over a thou, but they can usually be had for $700 or so. Which if I didn't already have one I would have NO issue grabbing a Studio and slapping a set of Seymours in it and calling it a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post

..and something I tell everyone, if you're going to buy a combo, buy used. You'll never get your money back out of it if you buy new, and most people can't give them away when they "upgrade" to a half-stack.
Very much this, with the exception of full tube heads and vintage tube combos, you won't get any sort of resale out of a combo.

Of course, even when you do have a half stack, you don't always use it. 120 watts doesn't sound like a hell of a lot until you understand it isn't pushing any appreciable bass ranges the fucking things are ridiculously loud . My Peavey on 6 of 12 absolutely requires ear plugs, and I can play a decent size bar without a mic at 10. Then you have the added joy that when you get into big power heads they sound flat at low power, you have to crank the shit out of them to wake up the post amp tubes and really make it sing.

...and that gets the police called.

Tripped1 screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 03:15 AM
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote