View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #71901
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Really! Removing the clutch isn't that big a deal. Nothing to be afraid of! Plus, it's an opportunity to inspect the steel plates for hot spots and the clutch basket fingers for wear. It doesn't take any more time to remove the clutch than it takes to dink around grinding tools and turning little screws 1/12 of a turn at a time. Once you have the clutch cover off it only makes sense to inspect everything you can while you're in there.

No question that you are correct, and if the project were to come up again I would pull off the clutch. I just looked at it once I got that far and said 'I can do this' and so I did. Sometimes it is good practice/therapy to figure out how to get it done 'the hard way' (at least for me, being retired and sometimes having 'too much time' on my hands). Not enough miles on my DR that I was concerned about inspecting the clutch.

Off topic: Just got through putting my set of your SM wheels back on the bike for 'winter' (down in a warm state) use, couldn't help thinking (again) how nice those wheels are. Done again I would probably go with 19/17 rather than the 17/17 but I doubt that I will wear these out. Thanks!

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote