View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #32
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
In the old days, maybe. BMWs from the '90s onward have torque specs for the adjustment. They work pretty well; from what I've seen most DIYers adjust the bearings too loose when they go by feel.
If anything I think mine could be more loose than they are now - based on the description in service manual of falling gently to the right when unweighted. Bike is an 84.

When I got the bike steering seemed perfect. Maybe 3 seconds from center to right. I've turned the bearing adjuster nut one full turn lefty Lucy - with drift and soft blows. I can probably count to 10 it drops so slowly to the right now. Not sure how the PO rode the bike, maybe my trails are taking a toll?

Makes me think that I need to see more innards. Grease & bearings - perhaps I've bent up something - don't think that's the case but level of abuse is new ground for me. Seems strange that bearing adjuster nut would get so tight given that cap nut was a beast to loosen.

Lack of experience doing the talking.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote