View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #6501
crobox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
I'm sure this has been covered before.... and if it's been covered in depth before then we don't have to go over it in depth again... maybe someone could give a short answer of point me to the previous discussion... but:

Could one buy an XR650L bottom end (electric start) and swap on an XL600R top end (dual carbs, works with center-mount mono-shock) ?

Would the connecting rod need to be swapped?

Wouldn't that be a good way to get an electric start XL600R, with domestically sourced parts?

Now don't get me wrong... I'm not necessarily anti-kickstart. It definitely has it's cool factor. But I did own one of these XL's in my 20's (20 years ago, 20 years younger!) and there were times that it wouldn't start, and that was REALLY frustrating. I will get this bike in good shape, and if it kick-starts easily every time, then I won't worry about this anymore. But if it ends up being frustrating, well then that is why I am engaging in this thought experiment NOW, to know my options.

Thanks,
Christian
crobox is offline   Reply With Quote