Old 12-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #6508
crobox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparmanpete View Post
Heres a video on it that I like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b-6w8sPrdc
Thanks for that link. I also have to do mine, and for some reason thought it would be difficult. Looks easy though.

On another note...
I am pretty serious about the dual headlight mod. Mostly because 1) I think it looks awesome, and 2) I have never liked the look of the rectangular light. Dunno why, just never have.

So, I was about to go ahead and purchase the dual headlight assembly from a Yamaha FZR600 off of eBay, when I noticed something... the Mercedes 300D that a friend of mine abandoned on my land several years ago (bad tranny) had inner headlights that were the right diameter...

Here's a pic from the web (not the car at my place)

I called my friend to OK it, and then took out the headlight assemblies. The frames (or plates... they are cast aluminum) that hold the lights are pretty nice, and they have REALLY NICE adjusters for beam direction. So I stripped the lights out of the mounting pates, cut them in half, and TIG welded the "small" sides back together.

See what I mean about those adjusters? They're awesome! And also this new assembly has tons of good places to mount itself to the bike.

One issue is that the lights are the kind where you insert the bulb into the back... they are not sealed one-piece units, and the bulbs in there are single-filament (no high beam... or no low beam.. not sure really). So, I have to either look for a replacement bulb that fits in there that has multiple beams, or just get new 5.75" diameter sealed unit lights. I'm not sure of the right approach, but next time I am in town at the auto-parts store I will figure it out.

Next up... (although this won't happen for a while because I can't do it until the front end is put back together) I will fabricate from aluminum a little fairing/cowling to go around the lights. I will probably try to closely emulate the stock euro-only-dual-light version, cuz I think it looks good.

Christian
crobox is offline   Reply With Quote