View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #57
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch DeBeer View Post
I agree, it SHOULD be streaming, especially because google earth images for remote areas are often way out of date. But, if that is the only option for satellite imagery as of this point I will more than likely get one. Now do I need the $750 one or the $550? I don't need a camera, so I don't know what the other features of the more expensive one buy you.
I hate being practical. How the heck are you going to stream? From a military satellite? Definitely not via a mobile phone type provider. In case you haven't noticed mobile phones don't work where we ride. GPS satellites don't provide this type of functionality. That would leave satellite phones. What's that cost? $8/minute? No thanks.

Preloading seems like the only alternative. And if Google satellite images of terrain are out of date then what planet am I on? Mountains don't move. At least not very often and usually not very fast.

Regarding the camera feature on the GPS, it may come in handy, especially if you have a bad sense of direction or want to return to a place you visited in the distant past. The photos are geotagged with the location. You can select the photo and the GPS will navigate back to that location.