View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #22
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
Ordered those links yet? You realize it's under $30, right? Too cheap and easy not to try.

Also, did the dealer lower the front by swapping around the fork internals (proper factory method) or just slip the tubes up in the clamps? You need the bike lowered by the book, THEN you slip the fork tubes up and add the link. It's all in the factory service manual but you may have to point that out to the guys in the shop. If you paid to have the bike lowered they need to do it right. Seems like lots of shops go at it the lazy way, so be sure and check.

You two had a fine plan, sometimes S### just happens.

Sarah
I'm surprised how many times I've heard that the shops just slip the forks up in the triple clamps. There isn't that much room over the front tire at full compression for the tire to clear the fender. Suzuki says we have 10.2" of suspension travel, front and rear. I just measured from my front tire to the fender--10.5" That only leaves a theoretical .3" clearance at full compression. A properly set up suspension will bottom on occassion. There are several riders who have slipped their forks up in the triples and they aren't having any clearance problems. I've ridden mine for thousands of miles with the forks up 1/2" with no interference between the tire and fender (10.0").

How do you tell if your forks have been shortened by the factory method? My stock forks (full extension) are 35 1/4" from the fork cap to the axle centerline. Factory lowered should be 33 3/4".

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote