View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #21
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyM View Post
Did you spot any bighorn sheep in Coyote Canyon? I have seen them in Coyote canyon, Yaqui Pass, and Montezuma grade. 3 out of 6 trips.

3rd crossing was kind of overgrown about 3 years ago.

There is a lot of neat places in AB. I suggest checking out the calcite mine area sometime. It's off S-22 about a quarter mile west of the microwave tower. Lots of Swiss cheese rocks.

The road was a little rocky about 2 years ago, but not too steep, and it's hard packed. Just one sand wash to cross.

I looovve Borrego! The third crossing was the easiest I've ever seen it - every other time it's been a vegetation covered lake. Even in your pic it's relatively dry compared to how I usually see it, but I think that is usually in spring.

I need to get up to the Calcite Mine - it's one of the few places I haven't been. My favorite is Split Mountain and all of the little canyons to investigate on the way up to Harper's Flat (and a great place to camp).

No sheep I've seen them in Death Valley and a remote area in Nevada, but not in Borrego. The closest was I went to a campfire talk and the ranger had a radio tracker - they were right across from us on a hill, but it was night. Pretty cool just knowing they were right there.

Great to know there are more Borrego fans out there - it's one of the few places where you can have canyons all to yourself!

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote