Now that I have done this I though I would update the thread for others to see.
This is a ridiculously easy process (compared to anything Australia anyway)
- Brought insurance online (used Progressive) and printed the temp insurance ID document.
- Filled in the EPA 3520-1 and DOT HS-7
- Went to the customs office at the Phoenix Airport, filled in another form, the engine capacity meant no duty was payable.
- Went the MVD, you can't use an agency as it must be inspected for the relevant EPA and DOT stickers, VIN and Engine numbers. As they wanted to see the VIN and Engine nos, good idea to know where they are - for me this meant pulling some stuff off the bike (fairing and sidestand).
- Then just went inside to get the rest of the paperwork and plate. Two years was $364. They weren't interested in the customs paperwork at all, so I think probably could have avoided that aswell.