View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #552
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACK RAT View Post
Hello,

I have a 2012 G650GS and have put about 2500 miles on it so far. Usually my gas light was coming on around 155 miles give or take. Recently one morning when the bike was ideling the gas light came on and then went off and ever since it has not come back on. Now I have stretched the miles to about 187 - 190 before refueling. Still no gas light and my tank took exactly 3.8 gallons of gas when filled and on top of that I had recently added a MRA wind screen to replace the stock winshield.

My manual states usable fuel qty approx 3.7, reserve fuel qty 1.1 So do I have a 3.7 total gallons of gas or 4.8 ??
Im trying to figure out if Im getting possibly more MPG from the MRA windshield or if Im haveing a gas light failure. I should be recieving a MSR gas bottle today in the mail for some spare gas to carry with me to find out the hard way if my gas light will come on..
Any input is appreciated.
Sounds to me like a failure of the warning light system. I've got about 13,500 miles on mine and never have I made it to 190 miles without the light coming on. Mine consistently comes on between 150 & 160.

3.7 is your total fuel capacity, and the light comes on when you've got about 1.1 of that remaining.

I average 60mpg. 3.7-1.1=2.6 gallons, multiply that by 60 mpg and you get 156 miles, which is where the light always comes on.

You should take it to the dealer and have it repaired under warranty.
reenmachine is online now   Reply With Quote