View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #37
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Yeah you've been pretty confused and argumentative the whole time. Relax man, he ain't racing it and he ain't Johnny Campbell or Jimmy Lewis. Its an Adventure Touring bike based off of a Harley Sportster for Christ's sakes. Recommendations have all been for the OP with his particular application. Examples cited were done to prove that they have worked well in the past. Sometimes even someone like you could learn from the past.
No, not in anyway confused about the issue here. Strong Bad, your comment here is completely BS and off of the OP.
It does not matter if he is JC or JL or my 94 yr old grandma who has never ridden. There is NO time when a 110/80-19" front tire is "better" than a 90/90-21" in soft sand on any size or weight bike!

Here is the OP in quote:

pros & cons of a 21" front wheel vs. large 16" wheel/ tire
Conventional wisdom is dirt bikes have a 21" front wheel with small tire with a meatier rear tire, and large touring bikes have 16-18" wheels with meaty tires on both ends.

Why?

Wouldn't the meaty front tire float as well over dirt and mud as the 21" with smaller rubber? Does it, or is it a weight issue, or a side-loading issue on unstable terrain, or tradition, or something else altogether?

No where does boatpuller state his riding level, his type of bike, or any conditions you are refering too. He does not tell us it is a sportster enduro conversion until the 10th post in this thread.

No one ever wants to admit they are wrong when they clearly are wrong and this time Strong Bad, YOU are wrong. Simple as that. A 21" works better in soft conditions and rocky conditions as myself and many others have stated for MANY reasons.

Narrower cross section makes it cut through soft dirt and sand and steer more like a rudder. No matter bike weight, a lighter weight tire/wheel combo is better, as Woody has stated that is a 21" combo.

JD, you and I are saying the same thing. A narrower cross section like you stated works better because as I stated the cut the sand.

I also have MANY thousands of miles on asphalt race tracks, street riding, back roads, freeway and about the same amount of miles in the desert, MX tracks and and dirt I can find. I am at about 1 million miles NO LIE. 500,000 documanted street miles with odometer equiped bikes and that much again on dirt bikes doing everything from hare-n-hound, scrambles, Grand Prixs, MX racing, a SX series, and magazine testing for MX and Enduro bikes.....100s of thousands of laps ridden.

Strong Bad,
Look back at all of my posts, as soon as boat puller told us what he was building, I definately reccomended a 19" front wheel on a bike like that for his riding level, terrain, and skill level. You and I are in agreement on that and I have always made that assertation and even given him a like to a wheel that will bolt on to his sporty and give him a light weight, strong, laced option in a 19" wheel.

The "floatation" issue is not a valid issue that was raised in the OP, especially on a tire that is likely 20-60mm wider and smaller in diameter and circumference. Floatation would not come into effect until substantially wider and ballon style tires would come in to play like on a "Fat Cat". Then speed and street ability is gone. Even the issue on whether a bike should float on sand has been in question. You can not steer without a rudder even if your boat floats, you must have a rudder to have directional control....same on sand.

I love the back and forth discussions here. However when I am wrong I have admitted it and digressed. I am not wrong this time.