View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #42
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeathrow Bowdean View Post
Nice road report Flickit. I had the same problem with my big bike tiping over, so I bought a 300 lbs unit to get around on so I'm busy picking my heavy weight off the ground. I thought I had better tell you about steal and aluminiun with copper slip. This is not a good idea. The copper coat adds more oxidisation into the metal. Nickle coat is the better of this plan when choosing a anty seize. The heavy duty people at Finne/ Catapiler use nickle coat any time they work with steal and aluminiun. I'm sure there is info on the web regarding this. Keep up the good work, and watch out for those bottom-less holes.

From Jeathrow Bowdean in Western Canada
Yeh, the Tenere is too big and heavy for poking around the rough stuff, which is what I enjoy the most... I dropped it again last week, lol.... Lucky it's a tough beast

I went for the big bike because I have plans of riding around Australia, it seems capable of carrying a decent load, has a good fuel range, and it's reasonable comfortable... Once I get that trip knocked off the bucket list I'll step back to a lighter bike for poking around Tassie... Getting the hang of handling such a tall-heavy beast makes the smaller lighter bikes a lot easier to ride I think...

Thanks for the tip about the copper anti-seize... I never considered it might cause a galvanic corrosion issue... I've always used nickel anti-seize, but ran out, and grabbed the copper because that was all the shop had at the time... There's about a pound of it slapped here there and everywhere around the bike now ... Oh well, I'll keep the rest of the copper for the tractor and get some more nickel for the bike

:)

FLICKIT screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 08:31 PM
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote