View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #27
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,065
Sometimes the best thing you can do when fighting the DR from going over is to just get away from it. I've pitched it one way and rolled the other. I've pushed the handlebars under me as the front end plowed sideways in the mud and I hit the ground running. There are many times you REALLY don't want to try any harder to save it from going down. You could hurt yourself...hernia, hyper-extension, strained muscles, getting catapulted by 367lb of momentum tossing itself to the ground, etc. Just let it go. Hit the killswitch once it drops. It's pretty easy to pick up once you step off of it and plant your butt against the seat to lift it with your legs....especially if somebody else is helping.

Make sure to armor it up...skid, sidecase covers, and real handguards. Drill your levers, leave their clamps loose enough that the levers rotate if slammed, and zip-tie spares to your frame (under the side plastics). You may also want to swap your rear signals for offroading, to signals that don't protrude, or to signals that are super flexy. Make sure to UNPLUG them, instead of cutting. Cyclegear sells wiring adapters to make most signals fit the DR harness.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote