View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #60
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Oddometer: 306
Copan attempt 2

Just an FYI the bugs at sunset in Monterrico get a little aggressive.

The bad iphone pic does not do justice how bad I got eaten up. They seem to disappear after about an hour of feeding frenzy.

So part of the reason for the route I chose was to avoid El Salvador. Nothing against the place but nothing I really had a burning desire to see and I liked the idea of one less border. I looked at the map and came up with a plan. If the mapped failed me then just take a right and head to El Sal. After El Sal border crossing decide weather or not I still want to see Copan. Solid plan, a good nights sleep and good attitude...I am now unstoppable!

Other riders going through CA take this little piece if advice. If you are near the turn for Port of San Jose and are thinking about calling it a day in an hour or two anyway got to Monterrico! Stay the night there. A cool little beach town and then take the river ferry to Monterrico II. It is about a 25 min boat ride that puts you about an hour or more South from San Jose and about 2+ hours if you were to drive back around from Monterrico.

Here is one of the ferries. It made my trip start to feel pretty damn authentic all of the sudden.

I wish the pictures did it better justice.

Yes that is a full size Ford van full of people on a hand made wooden boat.

Leaving Moterrico

River wildlife and scenery

Some guys fishing. One guy would splash the water a bunch to scare the fish into the net. The other dude would slowly make the net opening smaller and smaller.

8am and things are looking damn good

Some scenery on the way to Copan. I did end up using the GPS about 75% of the way into the ride. It appears that there a lot more paved roads in Southern Guat than my map tells me. Some of the roads that didn't connect on my map were great roads!

And yes I made the border

Less than a mile form the border the Honduran rains have effected the road.

I came into Honduras with heavy overcast then drizzle then pouring ass rain! I said the hell with the rain gear since I had less than 5K. Bad choice. I went to a hostal and they were out of private rooms. Oh well the guy also owns the place next door and its 35 bucks for the night. Very nice and pricey for where I am but I am cold and wet so once again time to splurge. I hope this doesn't become a habit.

View from my hotel.

My first meal in Honduras

Finally some ruins tomorrow!
AK Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote