View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 04:38 AM   #34
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post
You think the average rider is at the limit of their traction during the turn and can't brake and turn?

Standing up shouldnt even be considered the option since that almost guarantees a crash.

Braking won't automatically throw you on the ground.
An other issue with this whole thread is that "standing up your bike" will happen regardless of riders action. Most bikes have a geometry which will stand up. Very few bikes are capable of braking without standing up. Only is slippery conditions you have to stand the bike up before braking.

You can play with the physics of this at low speed, ya know, just to see what happens for yourself when you apply the rear brake. The bike will naturally try to go toward the vertical when just the REAR brake is applied during a turn.

Don't believe it? While in a low-speed turn, drag the rear a little and you can feel the bike lift away from the turn (i.e. if turning hard left the bike will try to lift toward the right, toward the vertical). I'm no physicist, but I've been riding for 50 years and it works on all kinds of bikes regardless the type of suspension, speed, road surface, etc. Just don't lock the brake. In a low speed maneuver if you slip the clutch and apply a bit of throttle (so you don't stall the engine - do that and you'll fall like a rock ) while dragging a little rear brake (NO front brake ) the bike will be very stable even in a full-lock low speed turn. Using this technique I can turn even my RT or GS in a circle at full steering lock within the width of two standard parking spaces.

The same physics are in action at higher speeds, but with more variables thrown in for excitement (inertia of the wheels, traction/tire flex, ass-pucker syndrome (the "third hand" ), frame flex, suspension, rider position (affects the center of gravity), etc. At speed you can even throw in some significant front braking to help. This is why I will never own a bike with linked brakes; I want to control each one individually and not have some computer doing it for me and quite likely fucking it up.

I learned this technique years ago while racing motocross/enduros and competing in trials, it really works in low-traction settings and works even better on asphalt. Practice, practice, practice!

Doug