I'd love to say that our planning and skill got us through, but we were extremely lucky.
We did knowingly take advantage of the drought; we figured we might as well make a positive out of a negative.
BUT, if it were wet, it wouldn't have happened in a week. If Monday's snow had fallen north and west, as it usually does, it wouldn't have happened in a week either. The first half of the trip was unseasonably warm; if it had been much colder, it probably wouldn't have happened in a week.
I think the drought we're in now is the key to doing this thing in a reasonable amount of time. I don't know what the long term forecast is, but January's normally our driest month, so if you can handle cold, for Oklahoma, it might be worth checking out then.