View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 04:53 AM   #46
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
I have a KLR and a Vee, not a bad combo. I think I'd suggest a clean used Wee for your first and only bike to have in the garage. Compared to the KLR it's suitably modern with fuel injection and 6 gears, MUCH smoother, close to 2x the power, much better on the road but still capable off the pavement up to a point. I've done 400 mile days on both bikes and only care to repeat it on the Vee.

The price on a used Wee won't be that much more but you'd be getting nearly 2x the bike and you would most likely want to keep it longer.

I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense to sell both the KLR & Vee and replace them with either a Tiger 800XC or Tenere, it's turning out to be a harder decision than I thought. I've ridden both the Tiger & Tenere.
I'm in much the same boat, only with a KLR and a 2003 Tiger. I got the Tiger to make long superslab hauls more tolerable and love it, but can't bring myself to get rid of the KLR. I've done repeated 500 mile days on my KLR and would do it again in a heartbeat.

The joy of the KLR is they are easy and cheap to own. I think it would be a wise place to start back into the sport again. It's light years ahead of what you rode 20+ yrs ago, and since you haven't been spoiled by the "bling" of $15K machinery you won't even miss it.

An added plus is you can privately smile knowing that you likely paid less for your whole bike than that GS guy spent on his/her routine maintenance in the past year.
JTT is online now   Reply With Quote