View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 06:27 AM   #38
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,027
One does NOT have to stand the bike up and not get back into the turn. I'm thinking almost every time we ride there is at least one time where I will stand the bike up briefly to do a bit of harder braking than might be allowed in full lean, then lean back in.

It rarely is fully upright, but it is enough to allow the braking I need (quick action based on knowledge from experience, not drawn out thought process mid corner). That is the key - knowing WHAT to do and HOW LONG OR FAR to do it. When I "sit up" in a corner I don't have to remain as such. It might be a quick action to avoid somthing in the road or to take off a bit of speed because of being a bit fast in the corner... any of a variety of reasons.

Am I at a dangerous point? Rarely. It is just what I have to do to keep the margin of safety. Have I ever been at that dangerous point? Sure, but kept it on the road (in most cases - on the dual sport it may be possible to go off a bit and keep it upright). Of course I'm not "racing" on the road and that helps make it far less danger than being at the edge.

Just my thoughts and ways. If it helps, great. If you don't agree, fine. It just works for me.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote