View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 08:06 AM   #48
TheRoss
IBA, BMWMOA

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
Does it provide you will some personal satisfaction?
Is this enjoyable every day - continuously?
Is It ever not a joy?
Enjoyment and personal satisfaction, yes.

Although I am more of an introvert, I am in sales, and do a lot of volunteering and social activities. Time on the bike, alone, with just my own thoughts for company, is a very welcome thing.

My experience with day after day is limited to a SS5000, SS3000, SS2000, 50cc, B2B Insanity, and many 1500 mile day trips. I do not list those rides to brag, but to say my experience is limited... there are far more seasoned and experienced long distance riders than me. I have never done the Iron Butt Rally, or any serious rally for that matter. But for me, the rides I have completed have all been very satisfying.

I read somewhere once... maybe in a Mark Twight book... that it doesn't have to be fun to be fun. There are certainly low times, and tired times. Practice and preparation limit those low times I think, but they are still there. It becomes important to know where you are and stop before your riding becomes unsafe. And equally important to stop before you cross the line of what can be fun and satisfying for you, so that you don't just give up on the activity of riding. I read of one rider who completed the Iron Butt Rally, and then never rode again. I am guessing that if the guy had stopped sooner, he might have enjoy riding another day. By continuing, even though it became miserable for him, his desire to ride was killed.

TheRoss screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 08:11 AM
TheRoss is offline   Reply With Quote