View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #17
d_mob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
nogales to sayulita is 3 days
w/ over nights in San Carlos and Mazatlan.

that part of Mex is boring however and hiway toll roads.
have you considered entering in Douglas and taking 17>14 or Rio Sonora route to Hermosillo? you could also bag san carlos and ride out and back east on 16. no time frame right?

on the way back west on 16 take 12 south and then head to Mazatlan.
other options are take 16 east and then hit copper canyon and the mtn road south to durango and then devil spine to maz or the alternative paved route that SR (live in mexico) know about and come out farther south.

either way you drop down to the coast at san blas exit ans then it's costal roads to sayulita. make sure to stop in chacala along the way and maybe spend a night!
Alright then...

How about enter through Douglas then head south on 17/117 to San Nicolas (bypass hwy 14 and Hermosillo). Then east on 16 to a small road that heads southeast (28.339286 -107.440066 - through San Juanito, east of Copper Canyon, Guachochi, Balleza) ending in Hidalgo del Parral. From there head south on 45 to Durango. Then from Durango over to coast and follow the rest of planned route.

Seems like essentially the same distance overall, but would take much longer due to roads, curves, etc, etc, etc... I'm assuming it would be MUCH, much better than the boring semi-coastal highways from Nogales to Mazatlan as planned before.

Thoughts?

PS... Thanks again for all your help! I'll owe you several beers and a meal after this. I have a HUGE map in front of me as we speak looking at routes alongside Google Maps and am using your advice while marking routes. :)
d_mob is offline   Reply With Quote