View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #87
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,697
Day 23.......

I wake feeling pretty refreshed and Meet a guy who had also holed up here for the night. (I forgot to write his name down or get a pic of the bike) He was riding a cruiser from Texas to the Hells Canyon Rally in Baker City Oregon. Since the temps were in the upper 30's as we spoke and the forseeable forecast was rainy and COLD during the Rally... he was turning it southbound and skipping out on the event.
I laughed and told him of some of the conditions I had rode in last year and that I would be rolling through Baker City in a week or so but just after the Rally. Funny how different our comfort zones can be reguarding weather, speed, etc... I was planning to hit the Hells Canyon Gathering at the Log Cabin RV park in Enterprise a little later in the month. Adventure types more sooo than cruisers, more my style, though we can also debate the relative nature of an adventure cant we... anyway.

I wondered how John had made out getting a ride to his home from the crash situation and pointed Desiree' to the West...

Wonderful blue skies greet me on the Veterans Memorial Highway...

I start to see more history of our past.... someones past anyway.

Then I see this.... a Boat in the middle of the Desert!

I HAVE to stop... I still need breakfast anyway, since nothing back in Tonapah really rung my bell.

I AM really losing it because this sweety and I had a good chat... but!?! I don't have her name in my note pad. Only that the Boat Restaurant is in Mina Nevada, and that the 'ol boy (Bob) had switched from Cattle Ranching to raising Lobsters... until... she told me, the Fish and Game shut him down:/
Some bacon and eggs with two other gals...

A before and after pic of his operation and run in with F&G...

Needless to say.. it was an interesting conversation and I learned something new again today!
The actual boat portion...

I get done eating, donate to the Mina Christmas light fund and decide to roll on down the road just as two more Ol' boys stop by for some grub...

More playful clouds, old buildings and roads... leading off to, who knows where....

I get near Hawthorne and notice these funny bunker mounds surrounding the Army Depot there hmmmm...

Turns out they're Ammunition Bunkers...

"Hawthorne Army Depot (HWAD) is a U.S. Army ammunition storage depot located near the town of Hawthorne in western Nevada in the United States. It is directly south of Walker Lake. The depot covers 147,000 acres (59,000 ha) or 226 sq. mi. and has 600,000 square feet (56,000 m2) storage space in 2,427 bunkers. HWAD claims to be the "Worlds Largest Depot" and is divided into three ammunition storage and production areas, plus an industrial area housing command headquarters, facilities engineering shops, etc."

Well that explains that...

I get a bit outta town and notice a dirt cut off called Lucky Boy Pass Rd... man if that's not my middle name! It runs over the Mountains to Bridgeport, CA (My goal for the night) Hmmm ok I better go back to town and find a place to do a tire swap. My rear 606 is getting pretty bare after 2500mi (it could have went another 200mi on the street, but I didn't wanna risk punctures in the dirt) and I'll rotate the front around the other way too (I've learned that by rotating the front at about the time the rear is toast will double it's life!!!) I now get 4-6,000mi out of my front knobbies!

You can see how lizzard backed they get at this point. (if you don't rotate the tire will be shot in another 500mi.) You can also see how much I've slabbed it down from Lewiston without any twisties as the nipples are still on the outter knobs!
This will change before my return to lewiston... I'll post a pic at the top of the Rattlesnake grade nearing Waynes place after thrashing this thing in the Central and Northern Cali as well as Oregon twisties!
I find a station with air (will save me from alotta hand pumping) and a shaded side out of all the blowing sand...

First chance to use my new TrailStand from Steve out on the road...

SIMPLY excellent tool that only weighs 9.7oz!!! Link here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538235

Up pulls a "special guy" on a bicycle who when I ask, tells me his name is Norton Lee... I tell him that's my middle name too and procced to explain to him in great detail, every move I'm making as though I'm sure he'll be doing a tire swap in the near future. He just sits cross legged and nods approvingly at me.... I wish I would have taken his picture:/ I get the rear done in 40minutes the front in 20... buuut the valve stem gets pulled sooo off comes the front again and in goes a new tube. At this point Norton quitely gets on his bike and rides away.... I just gaze at him and admire the kindness, gentleness, lack of ego, and all the other attributes I have to make sure to express. They seem to come soo very naturally to all people who are indeed Special.
Then up pulls a nice puurrty Native girl in a pickup.... She owns a barber shop in town and says to stop by the shop when I'm in town again. I ask her if there's a tire store in town where I can get rid of my tire.. she just smiles and says here give it to me, I'll take care of it! I try to hand her some cash but she's having none of that... then she ask if I met Norton Lee, and if he had called me Cooky??? I said nope.... she was puzzled... and then we talked of the dirt road I was about to take to Bridgeport.

I get on the bike and glance at my watch... perfect!

Lucky Boy Pass Rd is a nice wide FAST sand track...

With some nice views up top...

Then another basin... this is highspeed stuff fer sure.

The sun is starting its descent and I see a small farm at the end of this straight...

Nice remote place....

Then the track follows the flow, I see cattle grazing and a nice little valley...

I see this Memorial on the far side of the pull off...

I kneel, give my silent prayers, think deeply to myself and ride on...

I pop out on Sweet Water road just north of the Bridgeport Reservoir and take in the history and a guy Trout Fishing...

ABSOLUTELY stunning Seirra Nevada Mtns behind him..... and the East Walker River engulfing him... both surrounding him you could say.

Then it's in to Bridgeport to find a camp... Reason I wanna stay here is that I was raised in Bridgeport... Bridgeport Washington that is. I must have driven by this place many times as a kid taking Hwy 395 South to see relatives, but I can't remember this town???
The reservoir...

And a campsite at the Bridgeport Reservoir RV park and Marina...

By the time I get done pitching camp and taliking with Jeffrey Wenger the owner it's near dark. I take a gamble and go into the Rhino Bar and Grill...

There are two puurty waitresses and a great steak to be had! The truck driver to my right is also good for an hour of unprecidented talk of all things Spirit! Having been seriously Southern Babtist all his life and still is kinda... He agreed with my overall take on spirit and the fundemental dropping of the ball in reguards to organized religion. He had a couple good church stories to tell about walking out of a congregation etc... As with most of this report up to this point, I do not get the his name, or the puurty girls names and pictures, was just taking it all in?!?
As I'm talking about maybe changing my occupation to guiding, he points out that if she can do it.. you can too! Refering to Samantha Virks post card which the barkeep slides down to me, autographed to the owner Cole.

Hmmm I deffinately don't have her body... buuut I'd say I probaly have her covered in total skill sets and gift of gab:)

Next morning it's more b.s. and good bye to the Jeffrey ...
He's a super nice guy and REALLY energized to make anyones stay here, the BEST it can be!
Link: http://www.bridgeportreservoir.com/index.htm

Up into the Mountains and to suprise Jessica sometime later today od tomorrow.

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 03:20 PM
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote