View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #149
andrewgore OP
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,130
Did some more reading on my specific fork. Turns out in 2005 Yamaha left the ICS spring too short from the factory, as well as the main fork spring. It was also suggested to add a drain hole in a recessed area of the ICS floating piston. Perks of being a machinist is that these modifications\additions took all of 20 minutes to accomplish. Free spacers & drilled holes! Forks are all back together & waiting to be put back on the bike. Steering stem bearings have been re-packed with fresh grease as well. Glad those are at least in good shape.

I can't say the same for the linkage bearings. Swingarm bearings are still in good shape, but the linkage bearings are destroyed. Go figure Yamaha used an oddball sized bearing 21mm ID 27mm OD 15mm Width. The inner bushings are destroyed as well, so I'll have to just order up a whole kit for that. I saw pivot-works has a lifetime replacement guarantee. I think I'll be buying their stuffs. I'm also going to see if it's possible to put in a zerk fitting on the linkage anywhere. I'm not sure all of what will fit, but it'd be cheap insurance & save me a lot of time.

Mid tear-down:

Ultra-sonic cleaner is a Godsend:

Broke down & got myself an early Christmas present

Andrew
andrewgore is online now   Reply With Quote