Shipping From Alaska Questions...
I have two weeks (plus, maybe a couple more days) for a Alaska trip this summer. Would like to ride my GS 1200 to Alaska and then ship it back from Anchorage to N. California. I have been reading through the various forums and calling various shippers. Here are a couple of questions for the wise ones here at ADVRider.
1. The shippers I have talked to, suggest I need to crate the bike. To price of crates range from $300 to $500. That seems like a lot. Can I rent a crate? Any ideas?
2. If you use a crate or pallet, what do you do with it when you claim your bike? Do you throw it away? Dumpsters? What?
3. Others shipped bikes from Alaska... where did you get your crate / pallet? Do you ask for something different if you want to just secure a bike inside of a container?
4. During July, is the price different if you ship North to Alaska or South from Alaska?
5. Can you recommend a preferred shipper? I have talked with KgM Motorcycle Transport, Classic Motion, Northland Services. I have asked these shippers about shipping from Seattle to Anchorage.
I will post a matrix of what I learn for others as I compile my information.