View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 03:33 AM   #1548
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehaven View Post
Looking at the Great Basin saddle bag by Giant Loop,it appeals to me as it saves the weight of racks and tucks the sides and weight in closer to the bike but the photos I have seen look like it cramps the riding position as its on the rear of the seat. Whats your experience with the Great Basin.
The Great Basin doesn't cramp at all. It actually shifts the bag back over the tail rack and away from the rider. It works fantastic and keeps all the gear snug into the frame. It handles a layover great and does not suck your feet under it. You'll need to mount their provided exhaust shield. Also I'd recommend picking up some clear bra adhesive paint protector tape from 3M or equivelent to wrap your rear side covers as dirt will get trapped under the bags and rub into your graphics on a long haul.

The only knock on the Great Basin can easily be subverted... If you add a second top bag, it blocks access to the GB. Make sure your second bag has side zips where you can place items you need quick access to like your layers, so they are not buried in the GB below. A back pack works great as a second top bag to the GB where as you start removing the items out you throw it on your back to allow access to the GB when you are nearing camp.

For Adventure touring... I find the Great Basin one of the best product designs ever, seriously

DesertSurfer screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 03:44 AM
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote