Thread: Norra 2013
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #271
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnymoto View Post
But I've never done any off road racing, and I think it may be a bit arrogant to just show up for this four day event and expect to finish. I've done some road racing, and I know may way around baja a bit, I've ridden about 20 days of dirt down there in the last few years , and have spent an equal amount of time on the pavement on my GS. I'll be riding a DRZ400, she's my Baja bike, I live in Chicago, but the bike lives in San Diego, she's a solid machine, very well maintained, I know her well and am very comfortable traveling on her. I'm not fast in the dirt by any means, but I can get through most terrain and keep up a decent pace. I'm in good shape and can ride long days. I have never used a rally book or computer before, so there will certainly be a learning curve with that. I have the option of doing solo, or teaming up with a friend. Any opinion on which would be better. Either way we'd both be on DRZ's, we have tons of spares, including the ability to bring a spare bike.

I'm torn between coming out to watch the prep the day before the race, scope it out, maybe head to bay of la for the 1st night, then head back to san diego or just throwing my hat into the ring and entering. If I race, do I solo or with a team mate sharing a bike?

Any advice would be appreciated.
I raced the Mex1K last year and while I have done some RallyMoto, enduro's and hare scrambles I had never ridden let alone raced in the desert. I was also on a DRZ400. Other than my front wheel falling apart (due to me being an idiot and not checking the spokes on the new wheels after day 1) no major issues with the bike.

So, if you have ridden in Baja before it sounds like you are more prepared than I was.

As far as solo vs. team that is a personal preference, I much prefer entering events like this solo, mostly because I know I am not fast so for me the challenge is finishing.
Help support my racing addiction and look cool doing it! Buy a T-shirt or hat from the Dakar Dream Store
drc42 is offline   Reply With Quote