View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #49
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Friar View Post
As I was reading through all of this the first thought that came to my mind was, if you get truly bogged then you've got a big problem. One of the small things I like about the Tenere is the tow hook. Have you thought of adding a small hand winch to the bag. I've seen them advertised for use with the 1200 GS but haven't taken a great deal of notice other than that. Travelling into the areas you do on your own, might be an idea?
At the moment I just carry some rope, not really enough to do anything practical with though...

I've been considering a hand winch of some form.... but the small light ones are damn expensive... Someone in the Tenere thread suggested using a ratchet strap, which is an affordable option...

I "was" considering a decent ratchet strap with with the strap removed, then load it up with that light/strong Spectra rope/cable... The thing that's holding me back is thinking about the logistics of actually using a winch solo... Like, I cant hold the bike upright and operate a winch at the same time... Also the amount of line/rope needed to reach a good anchor point is probably more than what's practical to carry...

I'm sure a winch would be good in some situations, but every time I've been stuck or nearly stuck there's a good chance a winch wouldn't have helped me...

I'll probably procrastinate about it till I get stuck in a situation where a winch would help
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote