View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #227
dsy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by picinisco View Post
Well I did it. Bought a LED from Radio Shack, soldered it to an old jack plug. Plugged it in and it lit up and stayed lit up. Rode it to work, the intensity of the LED never changed. All the lights on the radar detector went out until I pulled out the LED jack and lo and behold, I have fried the audio from the unit. Good news is it did only cost me a dollar.

Won't do that again.
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that I actually tried mine out with two other LEDs before I settled on the one I posted a picture of and all worked perfectly. I can not imagine what could have caused yours to melt down unless maybe your wires shorted out some how during assembly. The first time I tried it I mistakenly used a stereo jack instead of a mono, and it did nothing at all. No lights. Went with a mono jack and its been great. Some of the LEDs Radio Shack sells have a resistor built in but I can not see how that could have caused a problem. Damn, I only posted it cause it works so slick for me. I hate to hear you had a problem. I would check with a a meter and see if you shorted out somewhere.
I'm running the PASSPORT 8500 X50 dont know if it will work for other brands.
Doug

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

dsy screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 12:18 PM
dsy is offline   Reply With Quote