View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #261
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
Thanks Packer and jocce!

Well, let's get going again, shall we? I work in sales and was expecting the last week before Christmas to be slow enough to allow me a lot of time in the garage, but instead it's been crazy. So I woke up at 5:45AM this morning to get a few hours in before the day began. I'm glad I did, it ended up being very productive.

Now that I had the flywheel bolts, it was time to clean things up and reinstall the flywheel and clutch.

Cleaning the flywheel with brake cleaner:

The starter gears were so crudded up that I had to lightly use a wire brush to get them clean. You can see the half that has been brushed and the half that has not here:

Getting there:

All clean:

Flywheel installed:

New friction plate, getting ready to assemble the clutch pack:

Assembled and mocked up:

My bike (all slash 5's (?)) has little spacers that go between the pressure ring and the pressure plate. I forgot this little fact and picked the clutch pack up, got one long screw started into the flywheel, and immediately lost the other five spacers. They went rolling everywhere. Damn. After 10 minutes of locating them all again, I got wise and taped the bolts to the pressure ring to hold the washers in place:

Much better! This was my first try of setting it all up. I don't have the BMW clutch alignment tool, but I think I have a pretty damn good eye for detail, so I decided to try to line it up by sight:

It looked pretty good, so I put the three regular clutch bolts in, removed the three long compression bolts, and tried to mount the transmission. Nope, I was off. So, off came the entire clutch pack so I could give it another shot. I was starting to think eyeballing the alignment could take many tries, so I was looking for another way. I had read about using the transmission to align the clutch, but I couldn't figure out how to do it. I'd have to remove the long compression bolts to allow the transmission to get close enough, and then I couldn't back the standard clutch bolts out far enough to release enough tension to allow the friction plate to move into adjustment. So instead, I started looking for some way to make a tool. I ended up coming up with this:

It's a center punch pushed through a 5/8" spark plug socket (the spark plug socket has a rubber washer that holds the punch in place and centers it). I had to turn the socket on my grinder to remove some material so that it fit into the female spline, and then I added some tape to the punch to build up thickness and center it on the backside.

I tried it, and it seemed to work well. When I used it, I felt the friction plate slide in the direction that I thought it should go to be more centered than my first attemp:

I still wasn't sure if it would be perfect though. Only one way to find out. Mounted the tranny up, and WOOHOOO! Sucess!!!

I ran out of time, so this is where I stopped for the day. I'm hoping to get up early again tomorrow and hit the garage. Next is to clean up the rest of the engine with the wire brush attachment so that it's ready to go back in the frame. Then it's finding a few guys to borrow and pay with beer to help me lift the engine back in place without scratching the shiny powdercoating!

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166

backdrifter screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 05:06 AM
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote