View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #64
chabon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Dia Seis

Dia Seis

Same routine, get up early, pack up our camping gear and head over to breakfast.

IMGP1895 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1898 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1899 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

I know what you're thinking, French toast in Mexico?, well, I bet a few Mexicans have wondered, French toast in the USA? And actually, if you ask a frenchman about French toast he’d probably say “What’s that?”.

At this point we are backtracking and just making time to get to the border.

IMGP1901 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Now you have to use your imagination a little in the next picture. There was a junked passenger plane along the side of the highway. It looked familiar and I realized it was the plane they crashed into the desert in Mexico as seen in a recent National Geographic/Discovery channel program. Its about 100 feet behind me here.

IMGP1902 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Wait, you don't have to imagine, we have google! Plane at the crash site.

And plane at its new resting place, well maybe a little imagination, couldn't find photo of this.......

Hand made bricks, lost trade here at home.

IMGP1903 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

All very uneventful. Split lanes and get through the border in no time. Only two lanes at Algodones but things move quickly. Big line of retirees on the sidewalk returning back to Arizona after getting their cheap prescriptions, dental and medical work done.

Say goodbyes at the border and we’re off on the home stretch, at least for the Yuma boys. Lee is off to Casa Grande and I go to Mike’s to get my bike loaded back on the truck. The final humiliation was when I went to get my truck. Mike said to take the trail between the trailers and that would take me to where I parked my truck in the back lot. Here is where I ended up.

IMG_20121204_141611 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

I guess I had taken the wrong path and was wondering about in the desert. Luckily I had my SPOT in my pocket so I felt a little reassured (I refrained from hitting the SOS button). I found a bank I could climb to get out of the arroyo I was trapped by and located my truck.

IMG_20121204_141445 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Pictures of hills never look as steep as they are in real life, but I scrambled up the hill and was safe.

Jump on the highway and blaze for home, another 380 miles. Cool sand dunes.

IMGP1905 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP1906 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

LA is same mess of traffic. Stop and go traffic. At one point I hear some screeching and a car rear ends the car to the right of me. A few minutes later, same screeching, but this time the car to the left of me gets nailed. I hate LA traffic. Make it home by 9:00 at night and still have 8 days left in my vacation!

THE END

(no surprise ending - I warned you in the first post).
Chabón - F650 Funduro - WR250X

chabon screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 07:59 PM
chabon is offline   Reply With Quote