View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 06:29 AM   #1113
Adios Pantalones
AdventureDeficitDisorder

Oddometer: 2,318
Outstanding RR on so many levels.

My Grandfathers first boyhood trips into Detroit were on a horsedrawn wagon with his Father. They would leave in the pre dawn darkness for the city on Saturday mornings. They sold produce from their farm, door to door. His father stayed on the reins, Grandpa hustled back and forth from wagon to house, food to the house, money to the wagon. The city eventually grew out to swallow the farm and the fields were sold to the school district. The original house still stands, flanked by two schools.
I was in Detroit last summer and saw the carnage you saw. What you don't see is the concentric circles of similar wreckage in the small towns around Detroit. For every job on the auto production line, there were 8 more jobs in support industries. For a hundred miles in any given direction, there are empty remnants of the small businesses that supported the Motherships of the Big 3. Tool and Die shops, metal works, textiles, plastics, etc. Thousands of family owned small businesses. Many of the medium sized names are gone as well. Fisher, Walker, Bendix, Aeroquip, Delco, etc. Detroit was once the jewel in the crown of American productivity. Businessmen came from around the world to see how it was done. I spent the first half of my life watching it all reduced to dust through greed, graft and corruption. They killed the goose that laid the golden egg, and a once beautiful city died a slow, ugly death.

I've been fortunate enough to spend weeks and months at a time on the road on a bike. You've done a superb job describing the altered state of conciousness that can come in a "moving meditation". Your essay on "Motorcycles function as limbic system regulators" set off bells in my head. As the product of sub-par parenting, there is much to explore there.

Now, I'm off to research Dr.Spitz and limbic function!

Ride on...

Adios Pantalones screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 06:41 AM
Adios Pantalones is offline   Reply With Quote