View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #35
globalklr650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
A lot of people ask us how we can afford this trip. For this trip we are trying to live as cheaply as possible. We want to find out what we want in life and then how much money we really NEED. We camp alot for free and cook on a kelly kettle which has a double wall with water in it to boil it. We can boil 1.5 liters of water with a handful of sticks.

Kelly kettle

Using the base of the kelly kettle with coles in it we can cook using this homemade grate

When we started the trip it used to cost us about $100 for both of us per day. Now most days are about $20 for 2 people and we are still in the USA. We camp and couchsurf to save money. We buy cheep food. Our only costs are food and gas really. I do all my own maintenance and people help us out. All parts are ordered online to save
Money.

I did work as an Aerospace engineer for a few years. I was traveling to Germany for work and was payed a lot to travel so we have money saved up. As we travel we will try and work with people to travel as cheap as possible. I work odd jobs and my girlfriend will teach english as a second language. I will volunteer and work on Engineering solutions for the poor. Traveling with little money is much more of an adventure then hotels and not meeting people. I am excited for whats to come.

http://www.facebook.com/theperfectworld2012
globalklr650 is offline   Reply With Quote