View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #18
tallpaul63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianF View Post
That's great advice tallpaul, thanks a bunch. I didn't actually know there were "developed" campgrounds there. I've never actually been to Baja, other than TJ. My guidebook is arriving today, but I'm considering not bringing it. Just a map and a sense of adventure generally serves me well.

There are a ton of campgrounds throughout Baja. There are vast numbers of gringos who spend a chunk of their time living down there, and they travel with pickup trucks on the low end, to huge RVs in the middle, to permanently parked RVs on slabs with their own roof, set in place for the season. You might look for a very popular book called Camping Mexico's Baja (Rolling homes Press) for a good list of campgrounds. The downside is that this book is written for the RV crowd, so many of these places cater to that group. The upside is that it is quite comprehensive.

One other question that may cross the line into "is Mexico safe": how far from the border do I need to be before I stand a reasonable chance of survival? I'm thinking about 100 miles should be enough to get past the real trouble.
I don't know that there is a simple answer to that. I would plan on crossing the border early in the day. Ensenada might be a good destination for your first night. I crossed the border at Tecate and bypassed Tijuana entirely, which seemed to be a solid choice. If you cross at Calexico, you might find your way to San Felipe the first night. I think that town can be a bit rough, but nothing to worry about if you keep an eye on your gear and stay in a place where you can secure your bike.
tallpaul63 is offline   Reply With Quote