View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #4101
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
You know, it's kind of useless to discuss raw numbers that way. The 2006 V-Strom DL650 I had weighed probably 30lbs less than the 2010 R1200GS and it felt like it was about half a ton heavier ... and then again, the Super Tenere 1200 is about 40 to 50lbs or so heavier than a standard GS (both standard trim, no farkles), and still feels smaller and and possibly even lighter.
What your saying has some element of truth, but since a judgment of how a bike "carries its weight" is so subjective, I'm not sure it transfers from rider to rider.

You say the DL650 felt heavier than a GS, but I rode both for a period and felt the exact opposite - the Wee felt a LOT lighter, more than the 50-lbs difference in absolute weight. Likewise, S10 proponents say that it carries its weight better than a GS and has a lower CG, but looking at the two bikes, I'd bet the CG of the S10 is higher and to me, the S10 feels every bit of 40-odd lbs heavier than a GS to me. Having ridden all three extensively, I'd peg them as "feeling" about as the numbers stack up: 475 (Wee) - 530 (GS) - 575 (S10).

Mostly, I see this argument that a bike "carries its weight better" is used as way to deflect criticism of a bike's absolute weight.

In the end, weight is weight and I think bikes of similar design carry it more or less similarly.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote