View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 11:15 PM   #14
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,942
Umarth,
Maybe you just need to check the bore by lowering the piston, the bore should look good to the eye, if you do pull the cylinder off you can recompress the rings with your fingers if you are careful, I have never broken one using that technique. Just feed the piston into the bore, It is chanfered.

The weight of the cylinder coming down the studs is a help but if you can find a helper that's nice too if she is beautiful.

Gaskets are a good call, carb parts, 1M of fuel line is always handy, tubes and tire stuff. I carry an electric air pump that's been used many times by myself and other riders I stopped to help. I'd carry a countershaft sprocket, a chain tool and replacement links, a couple of spokes, the used brake pads you have from replacing them with new just before you leave.

I carry a fan switch and a temp sender switch, lots of stuff I know but in many places parts just don't exist and have to be DHL'd in-DHELL.

That is never a good experience from what I know.
Do your suspension before you leave and carry the replaced seals, etc from the fork and the shock with you as emergency spares.

Blown suspension was the norm for half the travelers(or more) that I met in my travels. It's a real PIA and dangerous.

I don't know anything about the decomp pin, it scares me. Gunner, Clint and Tseta are the engine masters, my engine has not needed attention except for the usual top end stuff...yet(oh yah, I destroyed a piston too).
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 11:28 PM
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote