View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #84
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,265
AAA Baja map

I didn't read all the pages of this thread, but I didn't see the AAA Baja map recommended. For the type of riding you described, it will cover just about everything you have in mind including many of the easy (and occasionally not so easy) dirt roads.

If you don't do the Sea of Cortez side on your way down, do it on the way back. Gonzaga Bay may be my favorite place. I'd stay the night there and watch the sunrise. It will be easier to find on your way down. Ride east from Tecate down the grade to Mexicali and then south to San Felipe. Mexicali is a bit on the hectic side but the route is well signed. Head south from San Felipe and the road is now paved almost (maybe the whole way by now???) the whole way to Gonzaga. There is some soft sand but 2wd cars make it all the time if the washes are graded. South from there to Coco's Corner (a must stop in Baja) and then out to the highway by Laguna Chapala. South of Coco's is rocky but at a relaxed pace should be no problem. Definitely ride the dry lakebed at Laguna Chapala for a little power sliding.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote