View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #27
MGB
ex. BmwDuc

Oddometer: 1,891
Lots of great choices,

But after 30 years of riding BMW's (airhead, kbikes, and oil heads to include an 1100GS) I think the Japanese are presenting better, less expensive, lower maintenance choices.

I had an '03 VStrom, '08 FJR and now a '12 Super Tenere, enjoying them much more than anything I've ridden in the past. No need to upgrade suspensions, seats, etc. like I did on many BMW's. That said, I still have an older BMW in the garage. Japanese dealers are on every corner. BMW dealers, not so much. When I had a final drive failure, cheapest option was rent a uhaul and drag it home 700 miles. That's make you a fan of chains (out with the GS, in with the VStrom). I quickly discovered chains have come a long way - in 50K miles on my VStrom, I only put on one set of chains and sprockets.

Recommendation: shop used. For any of your choices, there are good selections of used, low mileage bikes - many with a lot of extras - just take you time to shop around. And if it's not local, use it as an excuse to fly and ride.