View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #17
Umarth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Umarth,
Maybe you just need to check the bore by lowering the piston, the bore should look good to the eye, if you do pull the cylinder off you can recompress the rings with your fingers if you are careful, I have never broken one using that technique. Just feed the piston into the bore, It is chanfered.

The weight of the cylinder coming down the studs is a help but if you can find a helper that's nice too if she is beautiful.

Gaskets are a good call, carb parts, 1M of fuel line is always handy, tubes and tire stuff. I carry an electric air pump that's been used many times by myself and other riders I stopped to help. I'd carry a countershaft sprocket, a chain tool and replacement links, a couple of spokes, the used brake pads you have from replacing them with new just before you leave.

I carry a fan switch and a temp sender switch, lots of stuff I know but in many places parts just don't exist and have to be DHL'd in-DHELL.
Well, since it's just a few more bolts, I'm gonna take the piston out and check if the rings are still within specs.
So it is chamfered? Exellent! At worse I could of rigued a ring compressor out of a 2L coke bottle. :p

Good call about the spokes and fuel line, had not thought of those. Even though I'll be carrying a spoke torque wrenche, I was forgetting some spokes.

As for the fan switch and temp sensor switches; they know the bugger out? Or do you carry them just because if they quit your f'd and they probably dont take that much space anyway?

Suspension is scheduled for sure and will be bringing a rebuild kit must probably.
Umarth is offline   Reply With Quote