View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #76
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Different mind set regards vacationers vs. travelers. "Vacationers" don't really disconnect from life/family at home ... are always on gringo money, gringo time and gringo values. "Travelers" tend towards leaving it all behind. You guys aren't quite there with a 6 week stint ... but at least you've time to cover the area you want to see, take your time and enjoy the ride. Super good. Hope the weather brightens up for you.

Sorry for my screw up on the distance between Bariloche and San Martin.
Ages since I was there. I came up on a Freighter from Punta Arenas, through the Straights of Magellan and disembarked at Puerto Mont. Came over to Bariloche from there ... and even years ago I could see it looked like a Ski Resort in Colorado or Utah. We didn't even slow down. We had friends (and a job) in San Martin, so just kept going.

I spent 7 years on the road in Latin America, only "vacations" since then ... but try NOT to be an ugly American ... learned years ago how to simply be invisible.

I too love Argentine Spanish ... the one dialect I could more or less understand after spending so much time with Argentines. "!Escuchame, Che'"
Mate
I loved the ritualistic ceremony surrounding Mate; the sharing, passing and re-filling of the Gourde. I have a question: Has anyone ever seen Mate served in a restaurant? I only ever saw it in peoples' homes ... or places of work. Never in a Cafe or restaurant. Did I miss it?

I found Mate stunningly strong ... enough to keep me up all night if ever consumed after Noon. Powerful stuff ... about triple the caffeine of strong Espresso. Locals are used to it ... not as affected.

Pray For Sun!
Buenos Aires will probably be COOKING by the time you get there. Enjoy!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote