View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #35
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,278
I have a f800 GS and a 1200. I think the 800 is the better all round bike, but a bit small if your riding 2 up. I will tell you my favorite Afgan story. In 1976 I rode a Honda 125 from Indonesia to Europe. I actually got into the NW frontier part of Pakistan. Back then they were not radicalized - but very well armed as ever. Then I rode to Kabul. Kandahar, Herat and into Iran. In those days, before the Russians rode in a ruined everything, Afghanistan was a republic. The problem in crossing it was bandits. What you would do is go to the edge of town early in the morning and park. There would be others there. Then when something armed and official drove by, you would pull up behind it and go to the next city. From Kabul to Kandahar, I followed some government truck with a couple of armed guys in the back. Getting out of Kandahar was trickier, after a long wait we all tailed a official looking Mercedes Diesel bus. As you may know the road goes from about 2000 ft to about 6800 ft on that stretch. The convoy just walked away from me going up the hill. I have never been more scared shitless. I was just lying down on the tank of the moving bike going as fast as I could, and waiting for some bandit to pick me off. Anyway the convoy stopped for prayers and that is how I caught up. So you see the place does not change much over time. Dave

CheckerdD screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 08:53 PM
CheckerdD is offline   Reply With Quote