View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #40
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Lefty, another item: I assume you will wear a hydration pack too, and it's a necessity. I used a Camelbak Mule and it was a very good choice. Besides plenty of water there is room for lunch and snacks, gloves for when the temp. changes, and other odds and ends that you will need on a regular basis with fast access. My pack wound up being fairly heavy, and the other guys wondered how I wore it all day, but it was really no problem at all. Don't leave home without one!

Docking Pilot has it right! One can make this a camping trip if desired, and I caught a lot of crap for preferring a motel when available, but leaving the camping gear at home would have made a lot of the route much more pleasant. 'Makes picking up the bike so much easier too! There were a few places though where we had to camp because rooms were not available, at all. A good choice if leaving all the camping gear would be to bring a light weight bag and inflatable pad, like a Neo Air (size of two fists), and a tarp for when and if you get stuck out. Or a bivy bag. If your budget allows, the motel route makes the trip very comfortable. Of course, when I was younger, camping the hard ground was just not an issue at all, but at this advanced age.......

Blaise W screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 09:22 AM
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote