View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
BcDano OP
One Lucky Dude

Oddometer: 300
From Heaven to Hell and back on the Dempster Highway

Sara: It was all smiles and sunshine as we started out from the mile zero sign up to Tombstone. We had an amazing view from the campsite. We were such newbies on the trip we really didn't prepare food for the road. Luckily we had left over Chinese from Dawson City. We hiked up the Klondike river trail to see the ice still on the river. There had been some rain and we knew from One Wheel Drive that one should not attempt the Dempster after the rain. We naively said oh it's not rained much and it's stopped now. That was our first mistake. There will be no photos from the day up to Eagle Plains because it poured rain all day. The riding was challenging at best. The mud was 4 inches thick for several hours and was like trying to drive in peanut butter. Thank goodness for our rain over suits! I dropped my bike at very low speed in the thick mud. Later that day there was very deep mud on a hill and one minute I was ok and the next I was face down in the mud with the bike on top of me and spun 180 degrees. Poor Dan had to try and get off his bike and run back to help me while listening to me on the intercom. Worst minute of my life. Luckily for me the road got much better after this for the last almost 60 km. I did badly injure my right knee and I could not walk on it at all. I could sit on my bike and stand a bit. We had to spend an extra day at Eagle Plains so I could ice my leg. (update I hobbled on it for 4 months and it was mostly better by 6 months. At 10 months its 90%).

Sara & Daniel Dempster Highway sign by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

DSC00531 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

DSC00537 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

DSC00539 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

DSC00552 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Sara klondike river hike by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Tombstone Park Ice by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

DSC00846 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

DSC00568 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Daniel: A little note about Sara is in order here. Wow was the mud bad. Like hardcore for the big guy bad. Like OMG we may not make it and why are we doing this stupid Dempster highway bad. Okay with this in mind picture tiny Sara on a very big machine, loaded to the max and weighing over five hundred pounds. Wow what a trooper. My wife is officially a hardcore adventure rider forged out of the mud of the Dempster at its very worst.

DSC00745 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Eagle Plains “lodge” is quite the place as some of you will know. The locals say being stuck here is like being stuck in a dentists chair. The sun was finally out though and shining almost 24 hours a day. Despite the pain in my leg we pressed on. I really wanted to get on a truck and go home at times. Dan did lure me with that option if I still felt the same when we got to Inuvik.

DSC00595 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

DSC00599 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

DSC00573 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

The first big landmark of the trip was crossing the Arctic circle. 50 km further north we entered the NWT.

DSC00757 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

DSC00753 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

DSC00762 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

DSC00768 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

DSC00765 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

This is what we called the good mud since it was not very deep or slippery.

DSC00770 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

We had 2 ferry crossings. Finally we arrived in Inuvik! We checked into the Arctic Chalets and the owner Olaf gave us his truck to get to the North Mart before it closed. There was so much mud on the bikes that both fans were so clogged they were not working. Thanks again to Olaf and his power washer.

DSC00771 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

DSC00777 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

DSC00772 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

DSC00778 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Sara & Daniel end of Dempster sign by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

DSC00781 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

DSC00783 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Here is me trying to sleep with the midnight sun.

DSC00807 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

We toured the town sights, including the igloo church, the visitor’s center, and the Jak’s tower look-out. We went to the cloud 9 at the airport for musk-ox chili and dipped our toes in the Mackenzie River at the east channel.

DSC00606 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

DSC00618 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

DSC00621 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

DSC00631 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

sara east channel mckenzie river dipping toe by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

This is the end of the 10 km of paved road in Inuvik and where the dirt road back to Dawson begins. I had recovered enough mentally to drive the road back south. My knee was very swollen and painful, but I was actually most comfortable in the riding position.

DSC00655 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

We set off early to get on the road while the sun was still shining. Stopping for a snack we took in the glory of the vista.

DSC00653 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

DSC00841 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Having travelled over 900 kilometers so far on the Dempster we had only happened upon six small rabbits. Disappointing to say the least. The scenery is amazing. We ran into a few of these unimog types up here in the North.

DSC00677 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

DSC00712 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

DSC00710 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Sara & Daniel Arctic Cirlce by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Daniiel Snack time above the Arctic Circle by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Just when we thought the northern highway was not going to reveal its wild inhabitants wow did we get treated to an arctic spectacle. Fifty kilometers north of the Arctic Circle in the gleaming sun and green tundra we happened upon a massive herd of Caribou. This day was adventure riding at its very best.

Herd of Caribou by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

DSC00729 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

DSC00749 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Hunting Inuit style.

DSC00747 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

BcDano screwed with this post 10-04-2013 at 05:13 PM Reason: Add Vid
BcDano is offline   Reply With Quote