View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #3214
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 15,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftDragon View Post
I get that a lot.... lol. My brain has random access gears. The problem with Addarall is you have to remember to take it...

I am saying I don't see how ride by wire masks poor throttle response unless it prevents the actual handgrip from being turned faster than the engine will respond. Does a ride by wire bike actually prevent you from turning the handle too fast or does it ignore it when you turn it to fast? If it ignores it when you turn to fast that does not seem to me to change the riders perception of responsiveness as poolside suggested the new LC boxer might do.

It's not about how fast the twist grip moves but WHEN it moves in relation to the timing of the engine (as in, where in the ICPE cycle the throttle is moved). Since the efi computer knows this, it can optimize the 'command' for more power (and by how much) in synch with what the engine is doing at any given moment.

Are you mechanically limited in turning the grip too fast? If so is resistance on a curve through the power band? If not how does ride by mask poor throttle response from an ergonomic perspective.

Not as far as I know.

Again... I took his post on it to be speaking from a actual throttle perspective. I am interested in what that masking means to the riders twist of the grip, how does the expeirence of twisting the grip and the response of the bike change? sounds like the rider experience would actually not change at all... lag still experienced the same from a ergonomic perspective. I could not care less if the lag is in the electronics that fire the injector or the electronics that pull the throttle body lever because my experience as a rider would not change would it?

I see ride by wire as an implementation detail without real rider control advantage. Why would a rider care which is used if the experience is the same?
The masking refers to masking poor emission related behavior from the engine and what the efi s/w has to do to meet emissions standards in ALL cases of engine response and performance.

With the introduction of TBW the efi can better match (less masking) the proper fuel/air delivery in all operating conditions with fewer emissions related poor engine responsiveness characteristics.

In terms of rider experience the difference is an extremely slight delay in throttle response, so slight that it's not really noticeable.

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590