View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #13
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,604
Darn tootin right I'm gonna use it. Nice tip….krussell. Great idea.

Followed the pointers and started digging. This seat latch is terrific! No fuss, no mess.

Quite tidy under here. Got room in front of battery to haul something…..maybe a small toolkit.

Come to think of it, was that where my missing OEM toolkit was supposed to go?

Now a looksee into the airbox.

I've got lots of Torx experience on my F800GS. At first, I was bummed about it. Now, I love it….they've become my all-time favorite fasteners.

Here are the tools of my new trade:

A ratcheting screwdriver-style wrench with removable bits (which fit in the handle).

And my favorite little pistol grip

Those two wrenches cover 75% of the Torx duty in the garage. The other 25% is handled by a 1/4" socket driver.

But, you need an assortment of small to large extensions, plus a swivel extension:

The swivel joint comes in real handy for a tight fit like this. Could be a real PITA without it.

Piece of cake with it. This Torx screw is a T-25. The most common size I see glancing over the bike.

I had to pry it open with a screwdriver just a bit….to break the seal and gain a grip.

This must be the thick wire harness BigDog was complaining about.

I didn't have much trouble with it. I pushed it downward (toward ground) and gave a hard yank on the filter assembly. It popped right out.

(Go eat some Wheaties BigDog….and try again).

Its a little tight to access, but not a problem with the right tools. I actually like it up here….high on the bike….up front.

It was much harder for me to find it (with out advice) than it was to remove it.

This is the same type of air filter used on my F800GS, though slightly smaller in size. I like these pleated paper filters….they last a real long time.

I change them on my F800 after 4,000 miles just because. They never seem too dirty, but it helps me sleep better at night. Foam filters….I'm cleaning all the time.

I, for one, am very pleased to see this type of filter on this bike. Located high and dry up front, it won't get dirty as fast as what you are used to.

BUT….you do need to add a good layer of grease right here:

Muy better…..do it soon!

HF

p.s. See how far a little Stupid can get you? Post up!
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com

HighFive screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 08:02 PM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote