View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcing View Post
What about riding along the desert ?
And how it is look like during the rain ? Is it like typical motocross/green line mud ?
Czesc, Marcin,

hopefully this will be of some help. This is from my Moroccan trip in last week of March 2012.

You need to be prepared for the whole range of temperatures. We started and ended in Spain (Malaga) and it was ghastly hot by then: I'd say 35C on return about 1st of April.

Northern section of Morocco was pretty warm, too, but once we entered Atlas Mountains it cooled off a lot. We hit some rain: several powerful downpours where we had to hide out, but otherwise we had a day or two of mild, rideable rain. It was quite cold then, about 5C and I had a base layer, wind liner, textile riding suit and a rainsuit on. When re-crossing Atlas on return, we actually ran into some snow flurries.

On the southern side of Atlas (Quarzazate) it was much warmer, but nothing like southern Spain. Probably 20-25C. Here is my friend in an Aerostich and with a base layer underneath.

Regarding sand: it is very much rocky gravel along our route (Errachidia to Marrakesh). Hopefully this picture gives you an idea. If you ever were in the US Southwest - it was very similar to what you would see in Arizona / New Mexico. Not beach sand.

One thing about the desert is that following a rain there is a lot of brisk water coming down slopes in the mountains - or pooling in terrain undulations in the desert. To me, Northern Africa was quite wet!

So, be prepared for very wide range of conditions. I used a textile suit (from Rev'It) that has some mesh panels that can be exposed via zippers.
In hottest conditions I used just the suit with some long riding underwear (lycra, to allow the suit to slide against skin). When it was colder, I zipped in a wind liner. I never had the need to use the quilted thermal liner - the external rain suit made it warm enough.

Regards, Robert.

rdwalker screwed with this post 12-25-2012 at 09:57 PM
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote