View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 07:55 AM   #121
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
Gettin Close With a Guzzi Comment.

First the comment.
It concerns me reading some of the replies I have been getting about Guzzi. Particularly about steering clear of Guzzis because of my experiences. I don't think I have ever said 'don't buy one of these bikes'. My case is probably one in a thousand and I just happened to pick the short straw. My previous ride was an F800GS that I had over 50000 kms of near trouble free riding. But, on the F800 site there were constant examples of other F8s with many warranty problems. Beemer was always quick to do recalls and warranty stuff and with their three year roadside assistance it was quite an attractive package. As a matter of fact I first looked at the 1200GS as my replacement ride. The several thousand dollar price difference was one of the deciding factors for me. The other was height and the NTX better fitted my 30 inseam frame. Plus I felt it looked and sounded a Helluva lot better. And then the big bonus, quickly discovered. After five years of butt numbing seating on the F8 I was and am treated to the lap of luxury. Literally an all day ride comfort seat. Cruising all day at 80 to 90 miles an hour (Texas I-10 is 80) with the wind going right over me on this big steady bike is a pleasure.
But it wasn't like I didn't know what I was getting myself into. My best friend Pete has always been the proud owner of over a dozen Italian motorcycles and his shrug was "They're Italian." As a gear head I was really pleased to see the simplicity and uniformity of the bike and ease of maintenance. If I had a TB sync unit and the VDST tool with me, I would almost be good to go.
The unfortunate part is the necessity of having a sealed exhaust which definately effects the O2 sensors which, in turn effect the ECU. and you all know I had the ECU flash done at Redline in Virginia. I am not sure but I feel that my present idle stalling may be directly linked to that. This after getting a reply from Pete Roper stating that he felt the present factory ECU firmware was working quite well with the 2012 NTX. I did feel that it improved the low end smoothness but if it was at the cost of low end stalling then I'm not so sure. I will have this matter addressed at either Tuscon or San Diego when I get over there.
But, I digress. Bottom line for me here is I do love this bike. So much so that I am even entertaining of unloading this bike for a 2013 (which I would scrutinize thoroughly). I would prolly take a big hit on a trade in because of mileage and the fact that there's now a lot of publicity out there on this one but still, I am entertaining that thought.
So, do not, I repeat, DO NOT base your ideas of purchasing Moto Guzzi on my reports. I am only writing my experiences as honestly as I can as they happen to me.
A couple of pointers: Buy from a 'trusted dealer' with a good rep, stick close to home for the first several thousand miles, read the forums (Hell, read my forum) and check for all those reported problems.
On a lighter note I am now entertaining the thought that Big Gal was abducted by Aliens dissected, badly reassembled and returned to the container without anyone knowing.