View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
crobox OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
crobox's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Taos, NM
Oddometer: 264
This build started in a rather inauspicious way....

Originally, I wanted nothing other than a KTM 950/990 Adventure. I decided I needed to try to sell some stuff to raise money for a KTM, so I decided the XL was going to go onto Craigslist or eBay. I pulled it into the shop to freshen it up for sale, and much to my surprise it DID NOT start. (It used to run fine). I discovered it had no spark, and in the process of trying to diagnose that I opened the cover plugs on the stator cover and was surprised to see oil in there. I assumed that this was wrong, so I pulled the engine and popped off that left engine cover, only to see factory-drilled holes in the left case-half which allow oil into the stator chamber. Confused, I joined ADVrider.com and started posting questions.

I started reading posts in the XL600 thread, and at some point while reading all this, I simultaneously realized I could not really afford a KTM and also re-kindled my previous love for the old Honda.

So diagnosing a no-spark situation in order to sell the bike quickly transformed into a frame-off rebuild!
__________________
Current Bikes: 1986 Honda XL600R, 1988 Hondasuki KLNX250R, 1988 BMW R100GS (dead)
Previous Bikes: Honda XL250 (2 of them), Honda XL600R, Kawasaki KLR600, BMW K1100LT, BMW R60/6, BMW K75, Husqvarna 430XC
Click HERE for my Cummins 4BT International Scout build thread
www.christianristow.com
crobox is offline   Reply With Quote