View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #50
KaterM
aventurerogeriatrico

Oddometer: 4
sprockets: 15/49

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaisew View Post
Sprockets! I posted this over at Cafe Husky too. I want to go up on the rear sprocket and had a hard time finding a source for anything larger than 49T. Found it: Supersprox USA. However, they list three or four different F650GS's; Dakar, early years and later years, and I think one with 8.5mm bolts. Which one do we need? I'm sure the Terra hubs are right out of the F650 parts bin, but are all of these variations with different bolt spacing or hole diameter? Inquiring minds want to know. I want to go up to 50 on the rear for a little more slow speed control without slipping the clutch. I never know when I might want to get foolish on some trail that I shouldn't be on. Want to leave the large 16T countershaft sprocket alone. Big is good!
Although I agree that big is good - size does matter after all ;)
I went to a 15/49 combo on my Pegaso Rotax 655, which is something like the predecessor of the Strada in many cases.
The early BMW Funduro Rotax 654 was built at the same factory in Northern Italy just across the lake from the actual Husqvarna factory :-D
And the cost for both sprockets will probably be less than a custom made 50 tooth "work of art", after all.
Furtermore I found a program calculating chain length/sprocket sizes for most even wear of all parts of the drivetrain and 15/49 is a LOT better than 16/50.
A bit of esoteric maths, I agree, but after all I'm an IT person :P
Just waiting for the TR650 to come to our Spanish Islands off the coast of Africa ...
Because there is _no_ way I am going to Europe in winter - not anymore :-D
Cheers, KaterM

KaterM screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 08:56 AM
KaterM is offline   Reply With Quote